Day 200!

Yesterday was mine and Ryan’s 200th day of travelling (and yes, we are still talking and having a great time!)

Day 200

As is now tradition here a round up of what happened on our ‘hundredth day! (Read what happened 100 days ago here)

Woke up pretty early in Muhuru bay, having completed our work with SolarAid for this part. It rained seriously hard the night before (biggest storm on the trip) with loads of lightening – which meant are none water proof roof top tents were soaked (I would not recommend to anyone Kanga roof top tents if you plan on using them in any hint of rain).

Still had a few electrical gremlins to sort out – but most are now solved, but before leaving Muhuru bay I had to find my clothes! My two pairs of trousers and a pair of shorts where being repaired (after slowly degrading since Ethiopia) but for some reason the shop where they were being repaired was closed. Asking around and a few phone calls later it appeared that the “mama” was at a church 5km away. I thought we were going to have to pick her up – but a child appeared with some keys for the shop and my repaired clothes where released!

Next fun was to drive back to the tarmac road, a few days before I had accidentally hit a large rock which had spun the steering wheel and bruising and swelling my right hand in the process – Ryan had to drive! (worst injury of the trip so far – all good in a day though) It had also broken one of 4 steering arm bolts so we had to take it easy on the rough road.

Kenya Roads

Taking the lower part of the broken bolt out consisted of opening up the knuckle and getting someone to weld the old bolt back together so it can be unscrewed. A relatively easy exercise until I noticed that the welder had touched the brake disc….

bit of fixing car

After lunch of Ugali (Maize meal), Choma (grilled meat) and lots of tea for about 80p we carried on hoping the brakes would be OK.

Brakes were a bit interesting to start off with, locking the front right wheel very easily – by after a bit of driving they where fine.

The plan was to drive to Kisumu on the back roads – so we headed off the main road towards Homa bay. In Rangawe we stopped for supplies and become the local centre of attention with Stephans “pickie Pickie” (Motorbike) disappearing in a crowd. “Is it a car? or Is it a Bike?” one man asked “We are very surprised to see you” stated another “Why are you here?” “Where are you going?” “What can you give us?” “Mazongoo” “How are you?” “What is the problem?” all the usual question, but always fun!

We drove on further watching Stephan squirm around on the mud (Oh its nice to be in a landcruiser on mud – even if it does try to suck you into the side all the time!) and found a place to camp.

Mud and bike

Easy in the Landcruiser

This area is quite highly populated so we knew there was little chance of privacy, but a kind family let us camp just outside there house. We had a bit of a crowd while we cooked (sweet potato mash, carrots, onions, GARLIC and a Giant Avocado) and set up (general amazement as the bike and car “snails” open up) Oh and we used the awning for the first time since Kadugli (Nuba Mountains, Sudan) but this time to keep the rain off rather than the sun.


We were visited by the local chief and local community people to make sure we were OK and that we would “reside peacefully for the night”. I then updated the website (good old mobile internet!)


After a peaceful night and another visit from the local chief we slowly packed up as the visitors grew in their Sunday best. And on for another day….


About author
Submit your comment

Please enter your name

Your name is required

Please enter a valid email address

An email address is required

Please enter your message

OverlandintheSun London to Cape Town Africa © 2018 All Rights Reserved

google-site-verification: googleee33066e843a00a9.html